Whether you’re a design novice or a pro, any of these landscaping trends could be a way to take your backyard from drab to fab. These trends represent a big step forward in the world of landscaping. Here, POPS Landscaping discusses a few landscaping trends to consider in 2022.
Landscaping Trends For 2022
We can’t get enough of the stone accents. Everything from pathways to patios and footers is getting a stone accent this year. There are two reasons for this. For one, it’s beautiful, but more importantly, it is incredibly durable. Backyard landscaping ideas include hardscapes such as built-in barbecues and fire pits that are still very popular because they provide the perfect place to entertain guests and extend the use of your outdoor space into the evening hours.
Who needs an indoor kitchen when you have an outdoor one? Outdoor kitchens are becoming more popular because they offer an excellent place for entertaining guests and family members. They can also be designed to suit any size budget, so there is no reason why you shouldn’t consider installing one in your yard.
Fiber Optics as a Lighting Alternative
Backlighting is an increasingly common technique used by many homeowners looking to make their homes stand out at night. Fiber optic lighting is becoming popular because it offers several distinct advantages over traditional landscape lighting.
The main advantage is its energy efficiency, as it uses energy-efficient L.E.D. Lights and will not drain the electricity that ordinary landscape lighting can. You’ll also find that fiber optics offer greater flexibility than traditional landscape lighting, as it can be installed anywhere you wish with minimal effort.
Solar Fountains and Water Features
Solar fountains have been around for years now, but they have become more popular each year. They provide all the beauty of water fountains without increasing your utility bill. Not only do these fountains save on energy costs, but they also offer a natural look that is appealing to most people. Solar fountains and water features are also fantastic front yard landscaping ideas.
Perennial Flowering Plants
If you want your garden to be beautiful year after year, perennial flowering plants are the way to go. They’re easy to maintain, and they require little upkeep. Once they are planted and established in your landscape, all you need to do is provide them with plenty of sun and water during the warmer months of the year. If you want flowers that come back every spring and summer, perennial flowering plants are the way to go.
You’ve seen them around town. Vertical gardens are popping up everywhere — literally, and this trend can be applied to small urban spaces and extensive gardens. If you’re unsure where to start, talk with a garden designer and see what they recommend.
Drought-Tolerant Plants and Xeriscaping
If you live in a dry climate where water conservation is essential, or if you’re trying to save money on your water bill, consider planting drought-tolerant plants and grasses, also known as xeriscaping. These plants have extensive root systems that can go deep into the ground, searching for water and nutrients.
They’ll grow well even during long periods of drought, and they don’t require much maintenance. This is an excellent option if you’re planning to sell your home soon because it won’t require much work from the new owner.
Artificial grass is another trend that has become increasingly popular over the past few years. It comes with many benefits, such as reduced water usage, no mowing requirements, and no need for fertilizers or pesticides. Not only does synthetic grass look natural, but it also requires very little maintenance compared to traditional grass.
- Low Maintenance – If you want to save money on your landscaping budget this year, consider going with low-maintenance plants. Many people think that if they wish to have a beautiful landscape, they have to spend hours maintaining it every week, but that’s not true anymore. With low-maintenance plants, you can still have something beautiful without having to worry about spending all of your time outside maintaining that beauty. As a bonus, these plants will help keep your yard looking great throughout the entire season!
- Sustainability – Another growing trend in landscaping is sustainability. This means using eco-friendly materials in landscaping designs and maintaining the landscape is ecologically friendly.
- Purpose – Homeowners have put so much energy into beautifying the outdoor spaces they want to use them as much as possible. Decks, patios, outdoor kitchens, and fire pits will continue to grow in popularity this year and beyond. Your outdoor spaces should be designed to serve a specific purpose, such as outdoor dining or entertainment areas. Outdoor kitchens are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners who love to entertain with barbecues or cookouts. Landscapes should also reflect your interests and hobbies, from vegetable gardens to flower beds to pools or hot tubs.
- Privacy – We have also noticed a trend toward creating privacy in landscaping with fencing, walls, hedges, and trees – especially around pool areas. We see many clients who want to add privacy screens around their pools so they can swim without having neighbors watching them or sunbathe without having everyone see them.
- Focal Points – The garden has become an extension of the home for many homeowners, with relaxing retreats replacing traditional backyards—and focal points like pergolas, arches, and gazebos adding interest to these new outdoor living spaces.
Get Started Now With POPS Landscaping
Planning for the future doesn’t have to be a painful affair. When you need service or installation for your landscaping design features, trust in a team that knows the industry. Landscape like you mean it with POPS Landscaping! The professionals at POPS Landscaping offer creative advice, provide detailed estimates and give a firm yet flexible timeline for completion. Visit the POPS Landscaping website to prepare your garden for spring with a few new design elements and contemporary updates.